Focus of the Week

I have been thinking through some of my life decision the last few weeks.  Decisions of where I went to school, of when I got married, career choices (I am on my third career at the moment), the cars I have purchased, the friends I have made, you name it, I have been looking back at it.  You can’t change any of those decision or the impact they have had on you, but you can hopefully learn from the good decisions and the bad, to make better ones in the future.

Last week a friend of mine called while we were both driving home from work.  We were talking through what we do each and every day.  Both of us do the same thing in different buildings.  While we both make good money, we were questioning whether the the stress, the amount of time, the way we seem to miss out on important events at home, and the fact that we come home to spent to focus on other pursuits, is worth all the money we are paid.  Would life be more enjoyable with less $$$$ but more of a quality of life.  I have been looking at what other people do for jobs, and while many don’t come with fancy titles, or large paychecks, I wonder if they are enjoying life more? 

I met with a man yesterday who is an Elder Law Attorney.  It was work related.  When I asked how he chose elder law he told me a story of being a Corporate Lawyer, doing very well, but having an experience with his aging father.  He decided to make a change. While his first few years he barely broke even, those were his favorite years of his professional life because he was doing something that gave him meaning and purpose.  He found his fit.  He began to enjoy life.  That is the question I am facing this weekend.  Am I enjoying MY life?  Does my current job allow me to enjoy MY life?  What does it look like to enjoy MY life? 

I follow a number of my friends, old and new, on facebook.  Some it is very apparent have answered this question.  I see a few doing jobs they love, like ceramics, or making soap and candles.  Others have jobs that let them do what they love, like act in plays, spend time with friends, or travel. Reading the many updates lets me know that it is possible to have a quality of life that is very enjoyable.  The pursuit of power, position, wealth, does not necessarily get you what your really want, enjoyment, satisfaction, peace, contentment. 

Guess I have a few things to think through this weekend.  That's why I like weekends, a chance to think, to consider, to wonder, to look at life from different angels.  This is one of those things I want to figure out.  I hope you are enjoying life.  If not, you can join me in my quest to figure out the answer to this area of my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment