Oregon Ducks vs. Oregon State Beavers - Is it Selfish

Over the last few weeks I have been wrestling with the concept of selfishness versus self care.  I grew up being taught that it was wrong to be selfish, in fact it was sinful to be selfish.  I believed you should always put the needs of others ahead of your own.  This was the right and noble thing to do.  Problem is this philosophy often left me feeling frustrated, walked on, angry and bitter.  In the end, putting others needs ahead of my own would lead me to resent those I thought I was putting first.  Over the last few weeks I have been looking at the idea of not always discounting my needs and wants.  Being able to meet my needs isn't always bad.  In fact, many would call this self care.  As I have explored this theme I have been asking myself, "What did I used to do, enjoy, participate in?  Where did I use to go or spend time?"  I started to look at what I have maybe given up which was important to me, in order to put others first.  One of those areas was football.  Is football wrong.  Is it wrong to enjoy it.  Is it wrong for me to watch it when others want to do something else.  Well last Saturday I practiced some self care and headed to Corvallis for the Civil War Game.  University of Oregon Ducks versus the Oregon State Beavers.  This is what self care looks like for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment