How do you Determine Self Worth?

I've been looking at the way I view life, process my situation, and try to make sense out of my circumstances. A long time ago I adopted a philosophy that simple stated, "There will always be someone smarter, faster, stronger, better looking, making more money, with a better title, a bigger office, than me. If that is what I pursue, then I will always be disappointed." It is a way of thinking that has always served me well. That is, until I realized that I was using it as an excuse, a way to cop out on ever reaching any goal of any kind. After all, there will always be someone else who is...

The more I take a Deeper Look Inward, I find that this way of thinking really gets at the heart of how I determine my value to, and in, the world. My self worth and self esteem flow from this. Thankfully I am very good at what I do, and those over me reward me in a variety of ways. But should their praise or what they pay me be the means by which I define myself? Should my comparison with others, who will always be smarter, faster, more successful, etc... be the means by which I determine how I feel about me? This is the thinking I am challenged with today as I take a Deeper Look Inward.

I don't have answers at this point, only more questions. But, I would love to dialog with others who are walking down the same line of thinking. Leave a comment here to continue this conversation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment