A New Way to Vacation

This week we are trying something new.  Darla and I wanted to take a few days off to relax and rejuvenate.  Seems we can get moving so fast we forget to breathe, and that is really no way to live.  A few months back Darla decided to rent a beach house.  She also decided to invite a few people to come along.  To us, it didn’t matter if they came or not.  We were going on a vacation of sorts, and if others wanted to join us they were welcome to.  If they decided not to come we were still going.  Goal of the time, sleep, relax, connect, enjoy, get sunburned, maybe surf, maybe take pictures, maybe do things that we want to do.

Today, the beach house had Me and Darla, our three boys, one dtr in law, two grandma’s, two grandpas, a brother and his family and a sister and her family.  And at the moment, we are all out doing our own thing.  Some are flying kites, some are climbing sand dunes, a few are visiting shops, and Dar and I are sitting in a coffee shop, doing some work, looking at the ocean, and enjoying doing nothing but what we want to be doing.

Yesterday Darla and Rachel took a run, while Derek and I hit the Pelican Pub.  Scottish Ale was flowing (probably a good idea to stand up every once and a while to see if you can still balance).  We sat outside watching the waves, talking about life, and enjoying good beer. I decided I enjoy having a married son and it’s fun to hear how his life is going and what he thinks about.

I like this new way of doing vacation.  I don’t feel like I have to entertain or make sure people are having a good time.  After all, I am providing the location and my goal was to sleep, relax, connect, enjoy, get sunburned, maybe surf, maybe take pictures, maybe do things that we want to do, and that is exactly what I am doing.  And before I take to much credit, it was really all Darla’s idea.  She is so smart some times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment