Worth Waiting For





They say that some things are worth waiting for, and I would have to agree. I have spent the last week anticipate the return of my youngest. He was returning from school to attend a wedding, not really to hangout with the fam. I knew that would be true before he came home and thought I was ready for it. A quick trip, hang out for a short time, grab a bite, see the brothers and sis, check in and move on. We weren't sure when he was coming up, if he would spend a few days or just the night. As the week went on it looked like time would be shorter than longer. On Friday I got the call he would need to be picked up at the bus station around five thirty that evening. As soon as we hung up the clock started to tick slower, the meetings lasted longer and the anticipation brought all things to a stop. In a rush I realized I had been missing him.

I left work early because I couldn't stand waiting. I watched the people walk by looking for him even though I new his bus hadn't arrived yet. Funny the things you do. After an eternity and a few text messages he was there, jumping in the car, looking good with a big smile on his face. As we started towards home he started filling me in on his life, decisions he was making, a relationship he was excited about, work, school, music, and within minutes it felt like everything was right in my life. As we pulled into the driveway and walked into the house, his best buddy, Surf, was waiting for him, waiting to be pet and acknowledged, his mom was waiting too with a big smile and a hug. Quick words and he was out the door to the rehearsal dinner, then to catch up with his siblings. He wasn't sure if he would be home that night or stay over some place else.

In less than an hour life went from full to a little empty, excitement to melancholy. Not sure how it happens so fast, you would think there would be a lasting effect of his being home, if even for a little while. But no, life moves forward even if we feel stuck in sand. While he came home after going out, he was the typical college student and slept in till noon. We went out for lunch, something I know he likes to do, something I wanted to do with him. His sister joined us. I enjoyed just being around him. I couldn't help but think about how he was changing, yet not changing at all. He seemed so independent and confident, yet he had always been that way. Before he left for the wedding he had come home for, he said he would be heading back to school instead of staying a little longer.He had a life together back to,a concert to go to. The time was over as quickly as it had begun. We said our goodbyes, he jumped in the car he was taking back to school, and drove off.

They say something's are worth waiting for, and I would add to that, some things are worth continuing to wait for. I start waiting now for the next time he comes home, even even just for a few hours. It was good to miss him,good to see him, good to know he is missed.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment